CONTACT US

Monday, January 22, 2018

Growing Pak Choy / Bok Choy (Brassica rapa)


bok choy
www.rodalesorganiclife.com
The first time I plant Sawi Bunga and we enjoyed plenty of fresh vegs for our family to eat, I even have plenty given to my sister's family, my brother's family and for my in-law too. We harvested a few times. It was very very nice experience. I'll share more about Sawi Bunga in another post ya.

Bought seeds for the local supermarket, cost me Rm3. I sow 24 pots, each pot I put 1-2 seeds. Germination was done on 22-Jan-2018 using my own potting mixed (which I mix soil I bought from the local supermarket and cocopeat).

Mixing them in a basin, pour some water (use rainwater is best!), I sprinkle some bonemeal powder too.


I placed it in my front car porch under the table, literally, away from sunlight but do get good air circulation.

2" soil - place the seed - add 1/2" soil on top
spray a little water and give a little press (not too much okay).

Here some update from today's observation.
This is an example of, about to sprout, the seedling is pushing the soil, try to reach for the sunlight. You can see the soil cracking in the middle.

on the 3rd day after sowing the seeds, I spotted roughly about 6 pot sprouted and a few I saw the middle soil started to cracked, a sign of the sprout trying to show off soon.
Can u spot it?

A little info about growing Pak Choy;

Bok Choy Vegetable
Photo from: savingdinner.com

Chinese Cabbage 
Non-heading cabbage type
Bok Choy taken from a Cantonese word means "White Vegetable"
Also spelled as Pak Choi and Pak Choy.
Cool weather vegetable 
45-50 days to mature 
Require rich loose soil
Once seedling about 4" tall - thining work has to be done
Harvesting - best to be done in morning or evening (when it is not hot)
Perfect to be harvested when it reaches 12-18" tall

Great for soup, salads, and stir-fries.

Can't wait for the next 45 days 
to enjoy this delicious crunchy vegs!


cherrs,
vR




No comments:

Post a Comment