CONTACT US

Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Ulam Raja / Cosmos Caudatus Kunth / 帝皇乌蓝


If you follow my facebook, you will know that around end of last year, I've got the chance to taste one of the local ulam at the local restaurant. It's called Ulam Raja also known as The King of Herbs or Cosmos Caudatus. It is very famous for salad making, for medicine and also for beauty. - keep reading until the end to find out what are the benefits of consuming this King of Herbs.

My personal discover (just based on the one-time consumption - as I am eagerly waiting for my own plant to grow and to be harvested), I love the fragrance and the taste is very delicious. A friend said, it is super nice to be eaten with sambal belacan, I guess that will be the first thing I want to try making on my first harvest.



"C. caudatus has been reported as a rich source of bioactive compounds such as ascorbic acid, quercetin, and chlorogenic acid. Studies have shown that C. caudatus exhibits high anti-oxidant capacity and various medicinal properties, including anti-diabetic activity, anti-hypertensive properties, anti-inflammatory responses, bone-protective effect, and anti-microbial activity. This review aims to present the potential medicinal benefits of C. caudatus from the available scientific literature. " Quoted from : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4746859/ 
So in my facebook posting, I asked when can I get the plant? I want to have them grow in my own garden. I was thinking of a plant itself to buy, never thought of seeds. Many good friends responded and want to give me cuttings and seeds. Wonderful people of Labuan!

And then I went off to the mainland for a photoshoot job and also for Christmas holidays.
Back to the Island my Jiejie (elder sister), whatsapp me and asking me to go to her house to pick up seeds. I was like "seeds???", when I think of my sister and think of seeds, it doesn't seem connected because she don't do gardening. Then I asked, "what seeds?", she said from Sandy and mentioned ulam raja.



Oh, my dear!!!! I was sooooo happy! Right away - put on the slipper and walked to her house, collected the seeds. Rush home (super excited!), get the soil ready and Booom! it is in my mini pot.

Just ignore the date handwritten on the pot, got to excited "7" became "1"
Correct date suppose to be 7 Jan 2018
Planted in various size of pots and all sprouted, only some are slower than the others.
How long more until I can have my first harvest?
Looking good?
Some info 

  • It is a short-lived perennial plant growing 0.3-2m (10in-6ft) tall.
  • Shurb (Herbaceous)
  • Propagate from seeds
  • Astringent (taste raw) - when crushed the leaves emit an odour that is reminiscent of mango
  • Leave characteristics: simple, pinnate/bipinnate, arranged in opposite pairs
  • BIG DRINKER but don't let it DRUNKEN 
  • Best at sunny spot outdoor with well-drainage, fertile and moist soil
  • Produces dainty, attractive pink flowers when mature
  • Flowers produced in a capitulum with a ring of broad ray florets and a center of disc florets. 
  • First harvest after 6 months of planting from seeds
  • Regular harvesting will stimulate the production of useful and edible foliage and helps to delay flowering
Warning: The plant’s life cycle ends after it flowers and sets seed. To prolong the plant’s lifespan, discourage flowering by periodically removing some of the leaves and immediately cutting any floral stalks that emerge. Plant in soil with good drainage.

That being said, since I have 11 pots of the seedling, perhaps I can have 5 planted on the ground (3 for foliage harvesting and 3 for flowering - to collect seeds), and 6 to be transplanted to a bigger pot.

Here some medical benefit of Ulam Raja,

  • improve blood circulation, repair blood flow and purify the blood from toxic substances.
  • lower uric acid
  • reduce body 'heat'
  • great source of fiber
  • strengthen bone (high calcium content)
  • The extract chloroform from its leaf has costunolide stigmasterol, lutein, and bipyridine that cab inhibit the activity of some bacteria and fungi like candida albicans, Bacillus subtilis and also E. Choli.
  • Also to be knowns by the locals this ulam contains an anti-aging property (awet muda laaa)

Photo Credit: https://florafaunaweb.nparks.gov.sg



No comments:

Post a Comment